Luxury cars are equipped with cutting-edge technology, which is excellent unless anything goes wrong. In that case, they can be incredibly costly to repair.
If you’re looking for a luxury car, your time is likely worth significantly more than it is for most people. As a result, breakdowns can be disastrous to your schedule. Additionally, it can be quite costly, regardless of whether you have to pay for the repairs.
Luxury cars also tend to have more technology. This means they have more potential points of failure than cheaper models. Therefore, how do you tell which ones get the technology right and which ones have terrible bugs waiting to strike at any moment?
This is where a reliability survey comes in. Luxury automobiles were, on average, one of the least reliable types of vehicle available, second only to luxury SUVs. However, this does not tell the whole story since some models ran smoothly without causing any problems, while others were a bigger financial burden than a payday loan. Therefore, here are some of the least reliable luxury cars:
1. Diesel BMW 5 Series (2017-present)
89.1 percent reliability rating
Almost twice as many diesel 5 Series’ went wrong as gasoline ones, with a fault rate of 31%.
This was owing to a higher number of engine electrical defects. This only compounded the bodywork and non-engine electrical problems that plagued gasoline cars.
While all repairs for gasoline automobiles were covered under warranty, only 27% of diesel cars were, leaving owners with fees totaling more than $1800 in 3% of cases. However, things weren’t all bad: only 3% of diesel 5 Series models broke down, compared to 25% of gasoline models.
2. Audi A6 (2018-present)
85.3 percent reliability rating
Over the previous year, problems with the electrical systems, engine, bodywork, or infotainment system have been reported in 47 percent of A6s, with 37 percent of these defects requiring more than a week to fix. Additionally, 7% of owners had to pay between $250 and $375 for repairs. Audi, on the other hand, covered the remaining 93 percent of the repairs.
Fortunately, just 4% of cars entirely broke down. Therefore, this helps to buffer what could have been a startlingly poor grade for the current A6.
3. Audi A6 (2011-2018)
82.1 percent reliability rating
The elegant appearance and inexpensive resale prices of the previous-generation A6 may captivate you. However, use caution when purchasing one. That’s because 40% of them went wrong in the last year, and 10% of them took more than a week to fix.
Furthermore, remedial work was required by 40% of owners, with half of the invoices costing between $600 and $900.
Lemon laws are in place to offer protection to new car buyers in every state. However, used car buyers are significantly more likely to find themselves the owners of an unreliable vehicle. In fact, they may even face repair bills that exceed the value of the vehicle. In addition, it’s usually downhill from there for such poor customers.
In order to receive compensation, a buyer may have to show that the vehicle’s faults were in place prior to the sale. Many consumers are left in the dark due to these considerations and the subject’s intricacy. Furthermore, many of these cars are dangerous to drive. However, even if it isn’t, it becomes a liability rather than an asset when an automobile breaks down.
What You Can Do About It
Often, used lemons are fraudulently marketed and sold. For instance, a dealer may fail to disclose the car’s history or misrepresent the vehicle title. Additionally, they may actually tamper with the odometer. Thankfully, this is not always the case. However, there is something you can do.
If you think you may be the victim of this kind of fraud, you may need a Lemon Law Lawyer.