Cars to Drive in a Lifetime: Aston Martin DB5
Do you like this article?
The two most adored characters in “Goldfinger” and “Thunderball” were James Bond and his amazing Aston Martin DB5. The car had it all: perfect balance, great looks and impressive performance. And we’re not only talking about the movie version. This amazing Aston Martin model boasted a 4.0-liter inline six engine capable of putting out 282 horsepower (314 for the Vantage version), and had a top speed of 145 mph. It could complete the 0-60 mph sprint in 7.1 seconds.
The automaker created 1,021 examples of the alluring DB5, of which 123 were convertibles and 12 were transformed into station wagons. Back then (it was produced between 1963 and 1965), the price of a new example was of $12,500, but now $2 million is not too much to pay for this classic.
- Claim to Fame: Is it necessary to remind any of you what famous star had the pleasure of driving this beauty? Sean Connery, the handsome 007 secret agent.
- Soundtrack: Shirley Bassey’s “Goldfinger”
- Ideal Passenger: Who else than 007 himself?
- Where to Drive It: Switzerland’s Furka Pass, where James Bond and Tilly Masterson raced in “Goldfinger”
- How to Get Behind the Wheel: Just save a couple of millions of dollars and wait for the next auction to offer this vintage beauty.
- Did You Know? Believe it or not, Aston Martin was actually one step away from going bankrupt when Goldfinger premiered. The success of the move brought in a lot of new customers for the automaker, thus saving it from bankruptcy.